Rich Plum Pudding
This decadent rich plum pudding is much easier to prepare than traditional Christmas pudding and may be made for Christmas or served as a family dessert using the Soffritto 2L Pudding Steamer.
- 2 ½ cups mixed dried fruits
- Additional ½ cup sultanas or chopped raisins
- ¼ cup red glace cherries, halved
- 2 slices crystallised or glace pineapple, chopped
- 1 cup soft dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 125g butter, chopped
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Grated zest of half an orange
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 ½ tsp mixed spice
- ¼ cup brandy (optional)
- Grease the Soffritto 2L Pudding Steamer with butter. Place the dried fruits, cherries, pineapple, sugar, butter, and water into a large saucepan. Mix lightly, then simmer over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the butter has melted. Simmer for a further 5 minutes, remove from the heat and sir in the bicarbonate soda. Allow to cool.
- Stir in the orange zest, flours, spices, eggs, and brandy if using. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon into the prepared pudding steamer, smooth the surface (ensure sufficient room for the pudding to rise). Fit lid firmly.
- Place the steamer into a large saucepan, carefully pour boiling water to halfway up the side of the steamer. Cover saucepan, place onto a medium heat and boil for 4 - 4 ½ hours topping up with boiling water as necessary.
- To serve, carefully remove the pudding steamer from the heat and stand for 10 minutes before removing the lid and turning out. Serve with cream, custard, or ice cream.
Used to make this recipe: Soffritto 2L Pudding SteamerBack to blog