Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Tahini Dressing
The perfect vegetarian main course for any day of the week.
Cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Serves: 1 sweet potato per person as a main course.
Vegetarian, gluten free, and dairy free.
- 3 small sweet potatoes (about 350 grams each)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
FOR THE DRESSING
- ⅓ cup smooth tahini
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- juice of a lemon
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup water
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ x 400g tin of black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ red onion sliced
- 1 small handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp aleppo peppers (or ¼ tsp cayenne pepper)
- pinch sea salt flakes
- pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp of tahini dressing
- Roast the sweet potato -Brush sweet potatoes lightly with olive oil. Roast in the oven for 65 - 75 minutes at 170 degrees. Once out of the oven, scoop out about 3 - 4 tablespoons worth of sweet potato (save this for making sweet potato mash to serve on the side).
- Make the dressing - Combine tahini, maple syrup, lemon, and salt in a bowl and whisk together. Slowly incorporate the water, you may find that you need slightly more than ⅓ cup to make it have a dressing like consistency.
- Make the filling - Toss all ingredients together and combine well. Serve any leftover filling on the side.
- Assemble - Scoop filling into the sweet potatoes, drizzle with tahini dressing and serve.
- The sweet potatoes can be cooked a day in advance. Simple reheat in a low oven, then add filling and dressing to serve. Serve on some finely sliced red cabbage, with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.